The Art Director (AD) is responsible for creating a campaign that has an instant, positive impact on the consumer in order to promote the product or brand being advertised. The AD will design ads, websites, brochures and other advertising mediums on behalf of clients. The AD will create and maintain the visual look for all the work on an account, ensuring the client’s marketing materials are visually engaging. The AD translates marketing strategy into a visual language that speaks to the target audience and expresses the brand equity.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Insures that work is accurate and meets agency standards before being reviewed by client and supplier.
- Meets with account executives to discuss the client’s requirements and core messages.
- Works with copywriter to develop concepts for ad campaigns.
- Brainstorms ideas for new business and current clients’ ad strategies.
- Creates computer-aided design and layout to produce an effective advertising campaign.
- Oversees the production phase.
- Pitches concepts internally to creative director or the account team.
- Assists in preparing pitch concepts for clients.
- Edits the final results for presentation to a client; edits per client requests.
- Assists in casting actors and models for advertising elements; attends photo and film shoots.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, QuarkXpress and other programs.
- Strong knowledge and background in design, photography, typography and printing techniques.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to translate marketing strategy into persuasive layouts, logos and packaging.
- Ability to work as part of a team, with a range of people.
- Strong ability to focus on accuracy, attention-to-detail, and timeliness.
- Ability to see other people’s point of view and cope with criticism.
- Ability to keep supervisor properly informed.
- Ability to prioritize workload and manage a project from concept through production, in multiple media.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure environment.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings.
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, design, or graphic arts.
- One year’s experience working in an advertising agency.
- High School diploma or equivalent and three (3) year’s experience may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree and one year’s experience.
- Possession of a professional portfolio demonstrating ability in different media.
- Highly creative and imaginative
- Knowledge of integrated communications.
- Current knowledge of social and cultural trends and fashions, popular culture, and new advertising trends and techniques.
- HTML, PHP and other Web experience